Aamir Khan Leaves Film Production After Harassment Claims Against Director
On Wednesday, Bollywood veteran actor, Aamir Khan announced that he will not be working in an upcoming film project as the director has been charged for sexual harassment.
While the actor did not mention the name of the film or director, he took to his Twitter and announced that he will be stepping away from the project.
However, according to sources, Aamir was working in Gulshan Kumar biopic ‘Mogul’ which he was in collaboration of producing and was to be directed by Subash Kapoor, who has been accused of sexually harassing actor Geetika Tyagi in 2012. Tyagi had already filed a case against Kapoor in 2014 and also released a video in which she is seen slapping him in the presence of his wife.
In a joint statement, Aamir and his wife, Kiran Rao stated, “At Aamir Khan Productions we have always had a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual misconduct and predatory behavior of any kind.”
“Two weeks ago, when traumatic #MeToo stories began emerging, it was brought to our attention that someone we were about to begin work with has been accused of sexual misconduct. Upon inquiry we found that this particular case is sub-judice, and that the legal process is in motion,” the statement said.
“So, without casting any aspersions on anyone involved in this case, and without coming to any conclusions about these specific allegations, we have decided to step away from this film. We do not want our action to reflect in any manner on the people involved in this case,” it added.
Aamir and Rao also added they were not in any position to pass a judgement on anyone as that is the job of the judiciary and the police, however, they stressed that a clean up of harassers was needed in the Indian media industry.
— Aamir Khan (@aamir_khan) October 10, 2018
“I understand and respect Aamir Khan’s and Kiran Rao’s decision. Since matter is sub-judice, I intend to prove my innocence in the court of law,” said Kapoor.