A resident of Orangi Town was died due to the Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever (CCHF) or Congo virus in Karachi on Tuesday (today).
Congo virus in Karachi is spreading as the first death of 2019 is now reported. The victim was the woman who was admitted to Jinnah Hospital Karachi as it was confirmed that she was affected by the deadly virus. The news was confirmed by Dr Seemi Jamali, the Executive Director of Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC).
CCHF is caused by Congo Virus that is present on the tick that attaches itself to the animal’s skin. Congo Virus symptoms include vomiting, joint pain, rashes, headache, stomach pain, back pain, and high fever.
Congo Virus Precautions
Congo Virus in Karachi can spread further. However, there are some recommendations and precautions by World Health Organisation (WHO).
- Avoid areas where ticks are abundant and seasons when they are most active.
- Regularly examine clothing and skin for ticks; if found, remove them safely.
- Seek to eliminate or control tick infestations on animals or in stables and barns.
- Use approved acaricides (chemicals intended to kill ticks) on clothing.
- Use approved repellent on the skin and clothing.
- Wear light-coloured clothing to allow easy detection of ticks on the clothes.
- Wear protective clothing (long sleeves, long trousers).
To reduce the risk of human-to-human transmission in the community
- Wear gloves and protective equipment when taking care of ill people.
- Wash hands regularly after caring for or visiting ill people.
- Avoid close physical contact with CCHF-infected people.
To reduce the risk of animal-to-human transmission
- Quarantine animals before they enter slaughterhouses or routinely treat animals with pesticides two weeks prior to slaughter.
- Wear gloves and other protective clothing while handling animals or their tissues in endemic areas, notably during slaughtering, butchering and culling procedures in slaughterhouses or at home.