Court Permits NAB to Present New Evidence Against Nawaz Sharif in Flagship Reference
Earlier on Friday, Accountability Court II Judge Arshad Malik had kept his decision regarding NAB’s plea after he heard Nawaz’s lawyer Khawaja Harris’ arguments.
However, later rejected the lawyer’s reservations and allowed NAB to present new evidence.
Haris also opposed to NAB’s plea and said, “NAB’s Zahir Shah had corresponded with the UK Central Authority and he has appeared before the court as a witness. Why were these documents not presented when Shah appeared?”
In response to this, NAB’s deputy prosecutor Sardar Muzaffar Abbasi repelled back, “We mentioned in the supplementary reference that we will provide documents after receiving answers.”
To which Haris then said, “If they present new documents then they should also present related witnesses.”
However, the court remarked, “NAB has not mentioned the relation between the documents and the Flagship investigation. The court cannot assume on its own the relation between the documents and the investigation officer.”
“Why are these documents being presented eight months later?” the judge asked.
The Case Trial
The trial, which had begun on September 14, 2017, has wrapped the Sharif family in distress.
After four deadline extensions given by the court from the original six-month deadline to finalize all three cases, on July 6 the judges announced their verdict in the Avenfield reference case.
In the three cases, Nawaz and his sons: Hussain and Hasan, are all accused in these cases. Meanwhile, Maryam and Safdar were alleged in the Avenfield reference only.
The two brothers who live abroad, have been based abroad, have been leaving trails without a word since the proceedings started. They are now declared as offenders by the court.