Islamabad: Transgender Persons Protection Bill approved in National Assembly. Earlier, the bill was also passed in the Senate in March 2018.
Transgender Persons Protection Bill was approved by a huge majority in the National Assembly. In addition, Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) MNA, Syed Naveed Qamar, highlight the bill for the relief and protection of the transgender community. However, here are some key points of the bill.
Key Points of Transgender Persons Protection Bill
- Transgenders can obtain a passport and driving license.
- They can change their gender in NADRA records.
- Transgenders cannot be harassed at any place.
- The discrimination will not be supported in any sector including health, education, transportation, employment, etc. However, the government should also provide job opportunities to transgenders.
- Transgenders can buy, sell, or rent out properties and will also be a legal inheritor of the property.
- A safe house will be established that will offer them health and education facilities.
- There will be separate rooms for detained transgenders in Jails.
- They can vote in all elections including national, provincial, and local bodies elections. However, There should be no discrimination against them in contesting for the public office.
- A fine of Rs. 50,000 and six months imprisonment will be imposed on a person who will force transgenders for the begging.