A Samsung Galaxy Note 9 mobile phone bursts into flames inside a woman’s purse
Earlier this month, a model of the latest Samsung Galaxy Note 9 recently caught fire inside a woman’s purse and stunned the citizens of New York.
This incident surfaced on media after a real estate agent, Diane Chung, filed a lawsuit against the South Korean smartphone brand. She reportedly stated that her Galaxy Note 9 got “extremely hot” while in her purse, and then caught fire.
This incident took place on the 3rd of September when Chung placed her phone inside her purse but then after a while started to hear “a whistling and screeching sound. That is when she noticed “thick smoke coming out of it”, as reported by the New York Post.
She quickly emptied her purse on an elevator floor in efforts to throw her phone out before she and her purse caught the fire. However, even after she did so, the fire kept going until a passerby tossed the burning Note 9 into a water container.
A Recap to Memory Lane:
This is not the first time that one of the giant’s handset caught on fire. A similar incident happened with the Galaxy Note 7 when these phablets exploded due to a battery fault. However, even after such a horrifying incident, Samsung claims that its Note 9 batteries are “safer than ever”, and that they have performed series of battery checks to ensure their new $1,000 phone doesn’t catch on fire.
After the recent Note 9 incident, Samsung had released a statement:
“Samsung takes customer safety very seriously and we stand behind the quality of the millions of Galaxy devices in use in the United States. We have not received any reports of similar incidents involving a Galaxy Note 9 device and we are investigating the matter.”
Regardless, Chung has filed a lawsuit against Samsung after the incident, Chung had been unable to contact her clients, and also was left with a “traumatic” experience. She has filed damages and restraining order to prevent Samsung from selling any more Note 9 phones.